Kei Nishikori survives Bradley Klahn 6-2 4-6 6-3 7-5 in the 2nd round in New York on Wednesday after conquering a huge battle. Nishikori will play against Christian Garin or Alex De Minaur in the 3rd round.
Score, report, and key facts
Nishikori in this set was in much better shape than the American and for that reason he won 6-2 after breaking Klahn in the 3rd (2-1) and in the 7th (5-2) game.
Bradley won the set after recovering from 1 break down. In fact, after conceding his serve in the 3rd (1-2) game, Klahn broke back in the 8th (4-4) and in the 10th (6-4) game before winning the set 6-4.
The Japanese had no answers in the last 4 games of the set (from 2-4 to 6-4).
Kei won the set after he broke Bradley in the 5th (3-2) and in the 9th (6-3) game. That break was enough for the Japanese to win the set as he didn’t concede his serve in the rest of the set.
Nishikori had a strong start of this set after breaking Klahn in the 2nd game (2-0) before consolidating his break and lead 3-0. Nevertheless, there was more work to do for the Japanese to win the set because Klahn managed to break back in the 7th (2-5) and in the 9th (4-5) game. Kei maintained his focus to break Bradley in the 12th (7-5) game.
The Japanese failed to serve out the set when leading 5-1 to be broken at 40.
Notwithstanding also Bradley won 4 consecutive games from 1-5 to 5-5
After this contest, the head to head between Nishikori and Klahn is 1-0 for Kei.
Highlights Kei Nishikori vs. Bradley Klahn U.S. Open – New York
Next Match: Kei Nishikori vs. Christian Garin or Alex De Minaur – stats
There is no head to head record between Kei Nishikori and Christian Garin since this will be the first time that they will face off in the main tour.
Tennis Scores in New York
- Kei NishikoriNishikori – Bradley KlahnKlahn (6-2 4-6 6-3 7-5) – See score progression
- Roger FedererFederer – Damir DzumhurDzumhur (2-0) – See H2H details
- Feliciano LopezLopez – Yoshihito NishiokaNishioka (0-1) – See H2H details
- Fernando VerdascoVerdasco – Hyeon ChungChung (1-0) – See H2H details
- Stan WawrinkaWawrinka – Jeremy ChardyChardy (5-0) – See H2H details
- Pablo AndujarAndujar – Lorenzo SonegoSonego (0-1) – See H2H details
- Pablo CuevasCuevas – Kamil MajchrzakMajchrzak (0-0) – See H2H details
- John IsnerIsner – Jan-Lennard StruffStruff (3-0) – See H2H details
- Gael MonfilsMonfils – Marius CopilCopil (0-0) – See H2H details
- Novak DjokovicDjokovic – Juan Ignacio LonderoIgnacio Londero (0-0) – See H2H details
- Daniel EvansEvans – Lucas PouillePouille (0-0) – See H2H details
- Aljaz BedeneBedene – Benoit PairePaire (1-4) – See H2H details
- Bradley KlahnKlahn – Kei NishikoriNishikori (0-0) – See H2H details
- Henri LaaksonenLaaksonen – Denis ShapovalovShapovalov (0-0) – See H2H details
- Tennys SandgrenSandgren – Vasek PospisilPospisil (0-1) – See H2H details
- Denis KudlaKudla – Dusan LajovicLajovic (1-1) – See H2H details
- Cedrik-Marcel StebeStebe – Marin CilicCilic (0-1) – See H2H details
- Pablo Carreno-BustaCarreno-Busta – Richard BerankisBerankis (0-0) – See H2H details
- Diego Sebastian SchwartzmanSebastian Schwartzman – Egor GerasimovGerasimov (0-0) – See H2H details
- Hugo DellienDellien – Daniil MedvedevMedvedev (0-0) – See H2H details
- Gregoire BarrereBarrere – David GoffinGoffin (0-1) – See H2H details
- Thanasi KokkinakisKokkinakis – Rafael NadalNadal (0-1) – See H2H details
- Alexander ZverevZverev – Frances TiafoeTiafoe (3-1) – See H2H details
- Alexander BublikBublik – Thomas FabbianoFabbiano (0-0) – See H2H details
- Christian GarinGarin – Alex De MinaurDe Minaur (0-0) – See H2H details
- Borna CoricCoric – Grigor DimitrovDimitrov (0-0) – See H2H details
- Reilly OpelkaOpelka – Dominik KoepferKoepfer (0-0) – See H2H details
- Antoine HoangHoang – Nick KyrgiosKyrgios (0-0) – See H2H details
- Andrey RublevRublev – Gilles SimonSimon (0-0) – See H2H details
- Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini – Jordan ThompsonThompson (0-0) – See H2H details
- Alexei PopyrinPopyrin – Mikhail KukushkinKukushkin (0-0) – See H2H details
- Miomir KecmanovicKecmanovic – Paolo LorenziLorenzi (0-0) – See H2H details
- Jenson BrooksbyBrooksby – Nikoloz BasilashviliBasilashvili (0-0) – See H2H details