Score, report, and key facts
Shapovalov in this set was in much better shape than Miomir and eventually he won 6-2 after breaking Miomir 3 times in the 4th (3-1), in the 6th (5-1) and in the 8th (6-2) game. the Canadian was broken in the in the 7th (5-2) game, but that didn’t prevent his to win the set (6-2).
Shapovalov failed to serve out the set when leading 5-1 to be broken at 40.
Shapovalov was unable to break Miomir in the 2nd game when he had 3 consecutive chances (0-40).
A crucial moment of the match was when Shapovalov won 4 consecutive games in the 1st set to change the scoreline from 1-1 to 5-1.
Shapovalov had a strong start of this set after breaking Kecmanovic in the 2nd game (2-0) before consolidating his break and lead 3-0. Nonetheless, the set was not over yet and there was more work to do for Denis to win the set as the Serbian found the way to break back in the 5th (2-3) game. The Canadian kept his focus to break the Serbian in the 8th (5-3) game before conquering the set (6-3).
At the end of the match, the Canadian scored 71 points vs. the Serbian’s 48 points.
The Canadian served pretty well to win 80% of the points (20/25) behind his first serve, and he won 54% points (13/24) on his second serve. The Canadian won this match even if he was not so effective in converting his break points because he converted only 31% (5/16). On the other side, Kecmanovic was far from perfect in converting his break points because he converted only 33% of his break points (2/6). That was one of the key issues for his defeat.
After this encounter, the head to head between Shapovalov and Kecmanovic is 1-0 for Denis.
— We Are Tennis (@WeAreTennis) August 22, 2019
Next Match: Denis Shapovalov vs. Andrey Rublev – stats
Shapovalov will fight against Rublev in the quarter.
The last time that they locked horns, Shapovalov won 6-3 7-65 in the 3rd round in Miami back in March 2019.
Tennis Scores in Salem Open
- Steve JohnsonSteve – Casper RuudCasper (6-2 7-65) – See score progression
- Denis ShapovalovDenis – Miomir KecmanovicMiomir (6-2 6-3) – See score progression
- Benoit PaireBenoit – Ugo HumbertUgo (3-6 7-62 6-3) – See score progression
- Pablo Carreno-BustaPablo – Lorenzo SonegoLorenzo (7-67 6-0) – See score progression
- Andrey RublevAndrey – Sam QuerreySam (7-64 7-610) – See score progression
- Frances TiafoeFrances – Filip KrajinovicFilip (6-2 ret.) – See score progression
- John MillmanJohn – Robin HaaseRobin (6-3 6-4) – See score progression
- Hubert HurkaczHubert – Feliciano LopezFeliciano (6-3 3-1 ret.) – See score progression