Elise Mertens and Shuai Zhang will fight against each other in the 3rd round of the Australian Open for the 4th time in their career. They are scheduled to play on Saturday at 1:00 pm on Kia Arena. In the following paragraphs, you can find the head to head analysis and prediction.
Prediction, odds and live streaming
The pick for Tennis Tonic is Elise Mertens who should win in 2 sets.
Click here to see the updated quotes and live streaming (only selected countries - USA excluded).
At the challenger level, there will be free live streaming on Challenger TV.
Prediction and head to head Elise Mertens vs. Shuai Zhang
The last time that they locked horns, Mertens won 6-3 6-3 in the 1st round in Madrid back in 2021.
Highlights Elise Mertens vs Shuai Zhang – Madrid 30-April-2021
3 - 1win/loss
In the 2nd round, Mertens had a good straight sets win against Begu (6-3 6-2). During the match, Mertens scored 63 points vs Begu’s 42. Elise was pretty aggressive to blast 28 winners.
Regarding the service games, Mertens scored just 1 ace throughout the match and she committed only 2 double faults. Elise Mertens was very efficient on serve to win 76% (28/37) of her 1st serve and 59% (13/22) on the second serve. This was the main reason for not conceding a single break during the match. The Belgian broke Begu 3 times after converting 75% of her break points (3/4).
Overall Performance in this tournament
The Belgian started her run at this tournament from the qualifications. In the main draw, she hasn’t surrendered yet a set in this competition to conquer 57% of the points she played.
Mertens has a solid match record in the last 10 years having won 65% of her matches (360-190). 3-1 on hard in 2022. Regarding her performance on the same surface of this tournament, Mertens has a composed 202-91 record in the last years on hard.
The Belgian has an aggregate 3-1 win-loss record in 2022, 3-1 on hard (See FULL STATS).
Previously at the Australian Open
2 - 2win/loss
In the 2nd round, Zhang had a good straight sets win against Rybakina (6-4 1-0 ret.). During the match Zhang scored 34 points vs Rybakina ‘s 28. Shuai was very aggressive to blast 16 winners.
About the serving games, Zhang scored 3 aces and she was pretty solid in conceding no double faults for the entire match. Shuai Zhang was quite efficient on serve to win 80% (16/20) of her 1st serve and 58% (7/12) on the second serve. This was the main reason for not conceding a single break during the match. Shuai broke Rybakina twice after converting 50% of her break points (2/4).
Zhang has a compiled 2-2 win-loss record in 2022, 2-2 on hard (See FULL STATS).
Previously at the Australian Open
Previously, her best result was reaching the quarter in 2016. See her history.
H2H Performance in the tournament
Matches, sets, games and points
Both Mertens and Zhang played 2 matches. Both players have not lost a single set in this event so far. Mertens has played 1 set(s) less than Zhang (4 vs 5). However, it’s interesting to notice that Mertens played 9 games more than Zhang. Elise scored 57 winners (40% of the total points). On the other side, Zhang recorded 43 winners (44%).
|Avg per match||6||4.5|
Mertens scored 12 aces (6 per match). Zhang scored 9 aces (4.5 per match). Mertens won 71% points behind her first serve. She had a solid display on her second serve to win 56% of the points. On the other side, Zhang won 73% of the points behind her first serve. She had a solid display on her second serve to win 62% of the points.
How they played the important points
Mertens broke her opponents 7 times with a 70% conversion rate. Elise conceded her serve twice and she saved 67% of the break points that she conceded. Shuai broke her opponents 5 times with a 50% conversion rate. Zhang conceded her serve once and she saved 67% of the break points that she conceded.
|Score||6-4 7-5||6-3 6-2|
|% 1st in||59%||63%||61%|
|% 1st pts||67%||76%||71%|
|% 2nd pts||53%||59%||56%|
|Score||6-3 6-4||6-4 1-0 ret.|
|% 1st in||61%||63%||61%|
|% 1st pts||69%||80%||73%|
|% 2nd pts||64%||58%||62%|
Head 2 Head
Tennis Scores – Australian Open
- Paula Badosa GibertBadosa Gibert – Marta KostyukKostyuk (6-2 5-7 6-4) – Stats, scores, rankings
- Jessica PegulaPegula – Nuria Parrizas-DiazParrizas-Diaz (7-63 6-2) – Stats, scores, rankings
- Victoria AzarenkaAzarenka – Elina SvitolinaSvitolina (6-0 6-2) – Stats, scores, rankings
- Maria SakkariSakkari – Veronika KudermetovaKudermetova (6-4 6-1) – Stats, scores, rankings
- Madison KeysKeys – Qiang WangWang (4-6 6-3 7-62) – Stats, scores, rankings
- Barbora KrejcikovaKrejcikova – Jelena OstapenkoOstapenko (2-6 6-4 6-4) – Stats, scores, rankings
Upcoming matches in the draw
- Ashleigh BartyBarty – Camila GiorgiGiorgi (3-0) – H2H and prediction
- Amanda AnisimovaAnisimova – Naomi OsakaOsaka (0-0) – H2H and prediction
- Clara TausonTauson – Danielle Rose CollinsRose Collins (0-1) – H2H and prediction
- Elise MertensMertens – Shuai ZhangZhang (2-1) – H2H and prediction
- Simona HalepHalep – Danka KovinicKovinic (1-0) – H2H and prediction
- Tamara ZidansekZidansek – Alize CornetCornet (0-0) – H2H and prediction
- Iga SwiatekSwiatek – Darya KasatkinaKasatkina (0-1) – H2H and prediction
- Sorana CirsteaCirstea – Anastasia PavlyuchenkovaPavlyuchenkova (3-3) – H2H and prediction
- Kaia KanepiKanepi – Maddison InglisInglis (0-0) – H2H and prediction
- Marketa VondrousovaVondrousova – Aryna SabalenkaSabalenka (2-2) – H2H and prediction
- Jessica PegulaPegula – Maria SakkariSakkari (0-2) – H2H and prediction
- Barbora KrejcikovaKrejcikova – Victoria AzarenkaAzarenka (0-1) – H2H and prediction
- Madison KeysKeys – Paula Badosa GibertBadosa Gibert (0-0) – H2H and prediction