Score, report, and key facts
Watson had a head start at the beginning of the set to break Vandeweghe in the 1st game (1-0). Anyhow, Vandeweghe managed to stage a great comeback to break the Brit 3 times in the 4th (2-2), in the 6th (3-3) gamein the 10th game before winning the set (6-4) after breaking his opponent in the last game.
The set was even with both players refusing to concede anything to the opposition. Eventually, the only discrepancy was one break that heather conquered in the 3rd game (2-1) before winning the set (6-4).
Watson started off on the right foot in the set after breaking Vandeweghe in the 1st game (1-0). Anyhow, that wasn’t sufficient for Watson to win the set since the American managed to break back in the 8th (3-5) game.
Watson failed to serve out the set when leading 5-2 to be broken at 30.
At the end of the match, heather scored 104 points vs. Vandeweghe’s 98 points.
The Brit won this match even if she had some problems converting her break points as she converted only 33% (5/15). On the other side, Vandeweghe was battling in converting her break points (only 44% – 4/9). That was one of the key issues for her demise.
After this match, the head to head between Watson and Vandeweghe is 1-0 for Heather.
Highlights Heather Watson vs. Coco Vandeweghe Abierto Mexicano TELCEL – Acapulco
Next Match H2H: Heather Watson vs. Kateryna Bondarenko – stats
Watson will square off with Bondarenko in the 2nd round.
The last time that they competed against each other, Watson won 6-4 7-63 in the 1st round in Tianjin back in 2019.
Tennis Scores in Acapulco
- Heather WatsonWatson – Coco VandewegheVandeweghe (4-6 6-4 6-4) – See score progression
- Tatjana MariaMaria – Marie BouzkovaBouzkova (6-4 1-6 6-2) – See score progression
- Xiyu WangWang – Yafan WangWang (6-4 7-68) – See score progression
- Kateryna BondarenkoBondarenko – Danka KovinicKovinic (6-77 6-4 6-2) – See score progression
- Tamara ZidansekZidansek – Anna KalinskayaKalinskaya (6-3 6-4) – See score progression
- Anastasia PotapovaPotapova – Anna SchmiedlovaSchmiedlova (4-6 7-5 6-1) – See score progression
- Nao HibinoHibino – Arantxa RusRus (6-3 6-1) – See score progression
- Sloane StephensStephens – Renata ZarazuaZarazua (0-0) – See H2H details
- Shelby RogersRogers – Katie VolynetsVolynets (0-0) – See H2H details
- Kaja JuvanJuvan – Venus WilliamsWilliams (0-0) – See H2H details
- Leylah Annie FernandezAnnie Fernandez – Nina StojanovicStojanovic (0-0) – See H2H details
- Usue Maitane ArconadaMaitane Arconada – Caroline DolehideDolehide (0-0) – See H2H details
- Christina MchaleMchale – Lauren DavisDavis (4-1) – See H2H details
- Lin ZhuZhu – Katarina ZavatskaZavatska (0-0) – See H2H details
- Katie BoulterBoulter – Jasmine PaoliniPaolini (0-0) – See H2H details
- Sara ErraniErrani – Sara Sorribes TormoSorribes Tormo (1-0) – See H2H details
- Tatjana MariaMaria – Anastasia PotapovaPotapova (1-1) – See H2H details
- Heather WatsonWatson – Kateryna BondarenkoBondarenko (2-2) – See H2H details