Score, report, and key facts
Monfils won the set after he broke Gilles in the 3rd (2-1) and in the 9th (5-4) game. Simon tried to stage a comeback breaking in the 6th (3-3) game. Anyhow, Gael didn’t lose the lead before winning the set 6-4.
Monfils started off on the right foot in the set after breaking Simon in the 1st game (1-0). Nonetheless, that was not enough for Monfils to win the set since Simon found the way to break back in the 2nd (1-1) game. Monfils maintained his focus to break Gilles in the 3rd (2-1), in the 5th (4-1) and in the 7th (6-1) game.
Gilles was outplayed in the last 5 games of the set (from 1-1 to 6-1).
At the end of the match, Monfils scored 62 points vs. Gilles’s 46 points.
Monfils didn’t lose the concentration in converting 86% of the break points that he conquered (6/7). On the other side, Gilles was battling in converting his break points (only 33% – 2/6). That was one of the key issues for his defeat.
After this contest, the head to head between Monfils and Simon is 3-7 for Gilles.
Highlights Gael Monfils vs. Gilles Simon ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament – Rotterdam
Next Match H2H: Gael Monfils vs. Daniel Evans – stats
Monfils will square off with Evans in the quarter.
This will be the 2nd time that Gael Monfils and Daniel Evans clash against each other. The head to head is 1-0 for Monfils (see full H2H stats), but they have never competed against each other on I.hard.
The last time that they squared off, Monfils won 6-4 3-6 6-1 in the 2nd round in Dubai back in 2017.
Tennis Scores in Rotterdam
- Andrey RublevRublev – Alexander BublikBublik (7-5 6-3) – See score progression
- Aljaz BedeneBedene – Stefanos TsitsipasTsitsipas (7-5 6-4) – See score progression
- Jannik SinnerSinner – David GoffinGoffin (7-67 7-5) – See score progression
- Filip KrajinovicKrajinovic – Vasek PospisilPospisil (6-4 7-67) – See score progression
- Gael MonfilsMonfils – Gilles SimonSimon (6-4 6-1) – See score progression
- Felix Auger AliassimeAuger Aliassime – Grigor DimitrovDimitrov (6-4 6-2) – See score progression
- Daniel EvansEvans – Karen KhachanovKhachanov (4-6 6-3 6-4) – See score progression
- Pablo Carreno-BustaCarreno-Busta – Roberto Bautista AgutBautista Agut (6-4 2-6 7-64) – See score progression