Score, report, and key facts
Nishioka started off on the right foot in the set after breaking Laaksonen in the 2nd game (2-0) before consolidating his break and lead 3-0. That break was sufficient for Nishioka to win the set (6-3) since there were no other breaks anymore.
There was not much story in this set after Henri conceded no games to Nishioka before winning the set 6-0.
Yoshihito in this set was too strong for Laaksonen and consequently he won 6-2 after breaking Laaksonen in the 3rd (2-1) and in the 5th (4-1) game.
Yoshihito missed the opportunity to break Laaksonen in the 1st game when he had 3 consecutive chances (0-40).
There was a pivotal moment in this set when Nishioka won 5 consecutive games in the 3rd set to change the scoreline from 0-1 to 5-1.
At the end of the match, Yoshihito scored 84 points vs. the Swiss’s 79 points.
Yoshihito won this match even if he was struggling when converting his break points because he converted only 33% (3/9). On the other side, Henri didn’t lose the concentration in converting 50% of the break points that he conquered points (3/6). Notwithstanding, that was not enough to win the match.
After this encounter, the head to head between Nishioka and Laaksonen is 2-0 for Yoshihito.
Next Match H2H: Yoshihito Nishioka vs. Reilly Opelka – stats
Nishioka will face Opelka in the 2nd round.
There is no head to head record between Yoshihito Nishioka and Reilly Opelka since this will be the first time that they will fight against each other in the main tour.
Tennis Scores in New York
- Kyle EdmundEdmund – Yasutaka UchiyamaUchiyama (7-5 6-4) – See score progression
- Cameron NorrieNorrie – Brian ShiShi (7-5 6-3) – See score progression
- Jordan ThompsonThompson – Ivo KarlovicKarlovic (6-3 7-62) – See score progression
- Jason JungJung – Kevin AndersonAnderson (7-66 6-4) – See score progression
- Dominik KoepferKoepfer – Brayden SchnurSchnur (6-4 6-3) – See score progression
- Paolo LorenziLorenzi – Danilo PetrovicPetrovic (4-6 6-4 6-0) – See score progression
- Yoshihito NishiokaNishioka – Henri LaaksonenLaaksonen (6-3 0-6 6-2) – See score progression
- Soon-Woo KwonKwon – Go SoedaSoeda (6-2 6-72 6-3) – See score progression
- Andreas SeppiSeppi – Damir DzumhurDzumhur (6-3 1-6 7-66) – See score progression
- Steve JohnsonJohnson – Tennys SandgrenSandgren (6-75 6-3 7-63) – See score progression
- Miomir KecmanovicKecmanovic – Tommy PaulPaul (6-4 6-2) – See score progression
- Marcos GironGiron – Jack SockSock (6-3 6-4) – See score progression
- Andreas SeppiSeppi – Steve JohnsonJohnson (1-3) – See H2H details
- John IsnerIsner – Jordan ThompsonThompson (3-0) – See H2H details
- Jason JungJung – Cameron NorrieNorrie (0-0) – See H2H details
- Marcos GironGiron – Ugo HumbertHumbert (0-0) – See H2H details
- Kyle EdmundEdmund – Dominik KoepferKoepfer (0-0) – See H2H details
- Reilly OpelkaOpelka – Yoshihito NishiokaNishioka (0-0) – See H2H details
- Soon-Woo KwonKwon – Milos RaonicRaonic (0-0) – See H2H details
- Miomir KecmanovicKecmanovic – Paolo LorenziLorenzi (0-1) – See H2H details