Score, report, and key facts
The Romanian won the set after she broke Tomljanovic in the 4th (3-1) and in the 10th (6-4) game. Ajla tried to stage a comeback breaking in the 9th (5-4) game. Nevertheless, Simona maintained the focus before winning the set 6-4.
Halep had a racing start in this set after breaking Tomljanovic in the 2nd game (2-0). Anyhow, there was more to do for Simona to win the set as Ajla succeeded in breaking back in the 3rd (1-2) game. Halep kept her cool to break Ajla in the 12th (7-5) game.
At the end of the match, the Romanian scored 70 points vs. Tomljanovic’s 67 points.
The Romanian served pretty well to win 76% of the points (37/49) behind her first serve. Notwithstanding she won only 29% points (7/24) on her second serve. The Romanian didn’t lose the concentration in converting 80% of the break points that she conquered (4/5). On the other side, the Croatian was not so effective in converting her break points (only 25% – 2/8). That was one of the key issues for her defeat.
After this contest, the head to head between Halep and Tomljanovic is 4-0 for Simona.
Highlights Simona Halep vs. Ajla Tomljanovic Adelaide International – Adelaide
After the match, Simona commented: “I feel like I served pretty well today, seven aces, so it’s good for the donation. And I was moving pretty well. I was strong on my legs. I could respond very well to her very hard hit balls. It was a little bit tough that it was the first match of the year, and even if you practice weeks in a row, it’s not like when you play a match. So I need a little bit of time. I need some matches and then I can feel it better. But it was okay.”
Next Match H2H: Simona Halep vs. Aryna Sabalenka or Bernarda Pera – stats
Tennis Scores in Adelaide
- Ashleigh BartyBarty – Anastasia PavlyuchenkovaPavlyuchenkova (4-6 6-3 7-5) – See score progression
- Simona HalepHalep – Ajla TomljanovicTomljanovic (6-4 7-5) – See score progression
- Arina RodionovaRodionova – Marketa VondrousovaVondrousova (0-0) – See H2H details
- Belinda BencicBencic – Julia GoergesGoerges (2-2) – See H2H details
- Danielle Rose CollinsRose Collins – Sofia KeninKenin (0-0) – See H2H details
- Maria SakkariSakkari – Donna VekicVekic (2-2) – See H2H details
- Dayana YastremskaYastremska – Angelique KerberKerber (0-0) – See H2H details
- Aryna SabalenkaSabalenka – Bernarda PeraPera (0-1) – See H2H details