Score, report, and key facts
The set went straight to the tiebreak as there were no breaks. Eventually, Roger won the tiebreak at 2.
Federer got off on the right foot in the set after breaking Berrettini in the 1st game (1-0). Federer managed to strengthen his lead after breaking Matteo in the 9th (6-3) game before winning the set.
At the end of the match, the Swiss scored 72 points vs. Matteo’s 58 points.
Federer served exceptionally well to win 78% of the points (35/45) behind his first serve, and he won 68% points (15/22) on his second serve. Roger was well focused in converting 50% of the break points that he conquered (2/4). On the other side, Matteo wasn’t able to conquer any break point (0/3). That was one of the key issues for his demise.
After this encounter, the head to head between Federer and Berrettini is 2-0 for Roger.
Highlights Roger Federer vs. Matteo Berrettini Nitto ATP Finals – London
After the match, Roger expressed his happiness with his tennis to comment:
”It’s unusual to lose and then come back to play again, but I did it last year, so I have some experience. I’m very happy with how I played today. Matteo was always going to be difficult with his big serve. I was pretty clean in my own service games and I think that helped today. I hope I can keep it up and maybe even play a bit better in the next match.”
Then Roger added:
”There’s no reason to be too down [after losing the first match to Thiem]. We came here to play three matches and give it all we have. It was the big goal of the season to qualify here, which we did. I had a day off and there’s plenty of ways to get rid of that loss. Hanging out with my kids will do that for me. I was ready and prepared today. That’s what matters the most right now.”
Next Match: Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic – stats
Federer will face Djokovic in the last match of the Round Robin.
The last time that they played each other, Djokovic won 7-65 1-6 7-64 4-6 13-123 in the final in Wimbledon back in July 2019.
Tennis Scores in London
- Roger FedererFederer – Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini (7-62 6-3) – See score progression
- Stefanos TsitsipasTsitsipas – Daniil MedvedevMedvedev (7-65 6-4) – See score progression
- Alexander ZverevZverev – Rafael NadalNadal (6-2 6-4) – See score progression
- Novak DjokovicDjokovic – Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini (6-2 6-1) – See score progression
- Dominic ThiemThiem – Roger FedererFederer (7-5 7-5) – See score progression
- Rafael NadalNadal – Daniil MedvedevMedvedev (2-0) – See H2H details
- Novak DjokovicDjokovic – Roger FedererFederer (26-22) – See H2H details
- Dominic ThiemThiem – Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini (2-1) – See H2H details
- Daniil MedvedevMedvedev – Alexander ZverevZverev (1-4) – See H2H details
- Stefanos TsitsipasTsitsipas – Alexander ZverevZverev (3-1) – See H2H details