Score, report, and key facts
The Swiss won the set after she broke Petra in the 7th (4-3) and in the 9th (6-3) game. That break was sufficient for the Swiss to win the set as she didn’t drop her serve in the rest of the set.
The Czech was unable to find the solution in the last 4 games of the set (from 2-3 to 6-3).
Kvitova had a favorable start in this set after breaking Bencic in the 1st game (1-0) before consolidating her break and lead 4-0. Petra managed to strengthen her lead after breaking Bencic in the 3rd (3-0) and in the 7th (6-1) game before conquering the set.
A crucial moment of the match was when Petra won 4 consecutive games in the 2nd set to change the scoreline from 0-0 to 4-0.
Belinda won the set after she broke Petra 3 times in the 3rd (2-1), in the 5th (3-2) and in the 9th (5-4) game. Kvitova tried to stage a comeback breaking in the 4th (2-2) and in the 6th (3-3) game. Yet, Bencic refused to give way before winning the set 6-4.
The Swiss won this match even if she won less points than Kvitova (73 vs. 77).
Belinda was effective in converting 63% of the break points that she conquered (5/8). On the other side, Kvitova was pretty focused in converting 50% of the break points that she conquered points (5/10). Notwithstanding, that was not enough to win the encounter.
After this match, the head to head between Bencic and Kvitova is 2-4 for Petra.
Highlights Belinda Bencic vs. Petra Kvitova WTA Finals – Shenzhen
After the match, Belinda commented
“Against Kvitova, you never have anything in your hands. You’re as well standing on the court and hoping she’ll miss sometimes. I think definitely she was dictating the game today. I don’t think we played our best tennis, for sure not. Maybe in the end, the couple last games I found my game, my rhythm, my groove somehow. I’m super proud of that.
“Somehow I didn’t even feel nervous. I had no pressure of not getting eliminated. I saw the script, like, what happens if this player wins…. I didn’t know before the matches. I just played. I knew if I don’t win this match I’m eliminated, but I didn’t think about it.”
Next Match: Belinda Bencic vs. Kiki Bertens – stats
Bencic will face Bertens in the Round Robin.
The last time that they played, Bertens won 4-6 6-3 6-4 in the 2nd round in Stuttgart back in April 2019.
Tennis Scores in Shenzhen
- Belinda BencicBencic – Petra KvitovaKvitova (6-3 1-6 6-4) – See score progression
- Kiki BertensBertens – Ashleigh BartyBarty (3-6 6-3 6-4) – See score progression
- Elina SvitolinaSvitolina – Karolina PliskovaPliskova (7-612 6-4) – See score progression
- Simona HalepHalep – Bianca Vanessa AndreescuVanessa Andreescu (3-6 7-66 6-3) – See score progression
- Barbora Krejcikova/Katerina SiniakovaKrejcikova/Katerina Siniakova – Gabriela Dabrowski/Yifan XuDabrowski/Yifan Xu (6-4 6-2) – See score progression
- Naomi OsakaOsaka – Petra KvitovaKvitova (7-61 4-6 6-4) – See score progression
- Ashleigh BartyBarty – Belinda BencicBencic (5-7 6-1 6-2) – See score progression
- Ashleigh BartyBarty – Petra KvitovaKvitova (2-4) – See H2H details
- Kiki BertensBertens – Belinda BencicBencic (3-0) – See H2H details
- Karolina PliskovaPliskova – Bianca Vanessa AndreescuVanessa Andreescu (0-1) – See H2H details
- Bianca Vanessa AndreescuVanessa Andreescu – Elina SvitolinaSvitolina (1-0) – See H2H details
- Simona HalepHalep – Elina SvitolinaSvitolina (5-4) – See H2H details