Score, report, and key facts
Barty had a boost of confidence at the beginning of the set after breaking Bertens in the 2nd game (2-0). Nevertheless, there was more to do for Barty to win the set as Kiki found the way to break back in the 3rd (1-2) and in the 5th (2-3) game. Ashleigh kept her focus to break Kiki in the 4th (3-1) and in the 6th (4-2) game before winning the set (6-3).
Kiki won the set after recovering 2 times from a break down. In fact, after conceding her serve in the 3rd (1-2) and in the 5th (2-3) game. The Dutch broke back 3 times in the 4th (2-2), in the 6th (3-3) and in the 8th (5-3) game before winning the set 6-3.
Barty was powerless in the last 4 games of the set (from 2-3 to 6-3).
Bertens had a head start at the beginning of the set to break Barty in the 1st game (1-0) before consolidating her break and lead 4-0. Nonetheless, that was not enough for Kiki to win the set as Ashleigh succeeded in breaking back in the 6th (2-4) game.
A crucial moment of the match was when the Dutch won 4 consecutive games in the 3rd set to change the scoreline from 0-0 to 4-0.
Kiki won this match even if she conquered the same amount of points of Ashleigh (97 vs. 97).
The Dutch won this match even if she was struggling in finding the solution in converting her break points because she converted only 39% (7/18). On the other side, the Australian was effective in converting 60% of the break points that she procured points (6/10). Notwithstanding, that was not enough to win the match.
After this contest, the head to head between Bertens and Barty is 1-5 for Ashleigh.
Highlights Kiki Bertens vs. Ashleigh Barty WTA Finals – Shenzhen
After the match, Kiki commented:
“As the match was continuing, I felt better and better. The movement was getting a bit better. I was starting to feel the court. I could play a little bit more aggressive, come to the net.”
“I was OK sitting on the couch. I was really tired. But then yesterday I just hit for five or 10 minutes. I just rested completely. I think today I felt already much better. Of course, it’s not like after one day that you’re completely back in full energy.”
Next Match: Kiki Bertens vs. Belinda Bencic – stats
Bertens will square off with Bencic in the Round Robin.
The last time that they played, Bertens won 4-6 6-3 6-4 in the 2nd round in Stuttgart back in April 2019.
Tennis Scores in Shenzhen
- Belinda BencicBencic – Petra KvitovaKvitova (6-3 1-6 6-4) – See score progression
- Kiki BertensBertens – Ashleigh BartyBarty (3-6 6-3 6-4) – See score progression
- Elina SvitolinaSvitolina – Karolina PliskovaPliskova (7-612 6-4) – See score progression
- Simona HalepHalep – Bianca Vanessa AndreescuVanessa Andreescu (3-6 7-66 6-3) – See score progression
- Barbora Krejcikova/Katerina SiniakovaKrejcikova/Katerina Siniakova – Gabriela Dabrowski/Yifan XuDabrowski/Yifan Xu (6-4 6-2) – See score progression
- Naomi OsakaOsaka – Petra KvitovaKvitova (7-61 4-6 6-4) – See score progression
- Ashleigh BartyBarty – Belinda BencicBencic (5-7 6-1 6-2) – See score progression
- Ashleigh BartyBarty – Petra KvitovaKvitova (2-4) – See H2H details
- Kiki BertensBertens – Belinda BencicBencic (3-0) – See H2H details
- Karolina PliskovaPliskova – Bianca Vanessa AndreescuVanessa Andreescu (0-1) – See H2H details
- Bianca Vanessa AndreescuVanessa Andreescu – Elina SvitolinaSvitolina (1-0) – See H2H details
- Simona HalepHalep – Elina SvitolinaSvitolina (5-4) – See H2H details