Score, report, and key facts
Sinner had a head start at the beginning of the set to break Monfils in the 1st game (1-0). Sinner improved his lead after breaking Gael in the 9th (6-3) game before winning the set.
The Italian in this set stepped up in great fashion to overplay Gael and consequentely he won 6-2 after breaking the French Player in the 4th (3-1) and in the 8th (6-2) game.
At the end of the match, Jannik scored 62 points vs. Gael’s 41 points.
Sinner served extremely well to win 81% of the points (17/21) behind his first serve, and he won 74% points (17/23) on his second serve. Sinner won this match even if he was not so effective in converting his break points since he converted only 40% (4/10). On the other side, the French Player wasn’t able to conquer any break point (0/1). That was one of the key issues for his defeat.
After this contest, the head to head between Sinner and Monfils is 1-0 for Jannik.
The Italian commented “I played a very solid game. He did not play his best tennis for sure. It’s not easy if you make the final the year before and then to come here to play a young player and wild card. I think I played solid today. I served good on the important points and I think that was the key today”
Next Match: Jannik Sinner vs. Frances Tiafoe – stats
Sinner will compete against Tiafoe in the quarter.
There is no head to head record between Jannik Sinner and Frances Tiafoe since this will be the first time that they will square off at pro level.
Tennis Scores in Antwerp
- Andy MurrayMurray – Pablo CuevasCuevas (6-4 6-3) – See score progression
- Ugo HumbertHumbert – David GoffinGoffin (6-3 6-1) – See score progression
- Frances TiafoeTiafoe – Jan-Lennard StruffStruff (6-3 6-4) – See score progression
- Jannik SinnerSinner – Gael MonfilsMonfils (6-3 6-2) – See score progression
- Marius CopilCopil – Diego Sebastian SchwartzmanSebastian Schwartzman (6-4 5-7 7-67) – See score progression
- Gilles SimonSimon – Jo-Wilfried TsongaTsonga (6-4 7-5) – See score progression
- Guido PellaPella – Soon-Woo KwonKwon (7-5 7-5) – See score progression
- Stan WawrinkaWawrinka – Feliciano LopezLopez (6-74 6-4 7-64) – See score progression