Score, report, and key facts
Flink had a favorable start in this set after breaking Putintseva in the 1st game (1-0). However, Putintseva found the way to come back to break Varvara 3 times in the 2nd (1-1), in the 4th (3-1) and in the 6th (5-1) game before winning the set (6-1).
Flink was outplayed in the last 6 games of the set (from 0-1 to 6-1).
Putintseva was in a great position at the beginning of the set to break Flink in the 1st game (1-0). Putintseva managed to boost her lead after breaking the Russian in the 5th (4-1) and in the 7th (6-1) game before conquering the set.
Flink was completely wiped out in the last 4 games of the set (from 2-1 to 6-1).
At the end of the match, Yulia scored 59 points vs. the Russian’s 33 points.
Putintseva served exceptionally well to win 76% of the points (16/21) behind her first serve, and she won 58% points (14/24) on her second serve. Yulia was pretty effective in converting 60% of the break points that she conquered (6/10). On the other side, Flink was not so effective in converting her break points as she converted only 33% of her break points (1/3). That was one of the key issues for her defeat.
After this encounter, the head to head between Putintseva and Flink is 2-0 for Yulia.
Next Match: Yulia Putintseva vs. Naomi Osaka – stats
Putintseva will square off with Osaka in the quarter.
The last time that they competed against each other, Putintseva won 7-64 6-2 in the 1st round in London back in July 2019.
Tennis Scores in Osaka
- Yulia PutintsevaPutintseva – Varvara FlinkFlink (6-1 6-1) – See score progression
- Anastasia PavlyuchenkovaPavlyuchenkova – Kiki BertensBertens (6-1 7-5) – See score progression
- Misaki DoiDoi – Donna VekicVekic (7-65 6-3) – See score progression
- Camila GiorgiGiorgi – Sloane StephensStephens (6-0 6-3) – See score progression
- Elise MertensMertens – Su-Wei HsiehHsieh (6-3 1-6 6-2) – See score progression
- Madison KeysKeys – Zarina DiyasDiyas (5-7 6-0 6-4) – See score progression
- Angelique KerberKerber – Nicole GibbsGibbs (6-2 6-4) – See score progression
- Naomi OsakaOsaka – Viktoriya TomovaTomova (7-5 6-3) – See score progression