Score, report, and key facts
Diyas started off on the right foot in the set after breaking Keys in the 2nd game (2-0) before consolidating her break and lead 3-0. Notwithstanding, there was more work to do for Zarina to win the set because the American managed to break back in the 9th (4-5) game. Zarina kept her focus to break Keys in the 12th (7-5) game.
This set was a no contest after Keys conceded no games to Zarina before winning the set 6-0.
Keys won the set after she broke the Kazakhstani in the 3rd (2-1) and in the 5th (3-2) game. The Kazakhstani tried to stage a comeback breaking in the 4th (2-2) game. Nevertheless, Madison managed to stay calm and finish the job before winning the set 6-4.
At the end of the match, Keys scored 112 points vs. Diyas’s 98 points.
Madison won this match even if she had some problems in converting her break points because she converted only 32% (6/19). On the other side, the Kazakhstani was far from perfect in converting her break points since she converted only 38% of her break points (3/8). That was one of the key issues for her loss.
After this match, the head to head between Keys and Diyas is 2-0 for Madison.
Highlights Madison Keys vs. Zarina Diyas Toray Pan Pacific Open – Osaka
Next Match: Madison Keys vs. Angelique Kerber – stats
Keys will compete against Kerber in the quarter.
The last time that they squared off, Kerber won 6-0 4-1 ret. in the 2nd round in Wuhan back in 2018.
Tennis Scores in Osaka
- Madison KeysKeys – Zarina DiyasDiyas (5-7 6-0 6-4) – See score progression
- Naomi OsakaOsaka – Viktoriya TomovaTomova (7-5 6-3) – See score progression
- Elise MertensMertens – Su-Wei HsiehHsieh (6-3 1-6 6-2) – See score progression
- Angelique KerberKerber – Nicole GibbsGibbs (6-2 6-4) – See score progression
- Varvara FlinkFlink – Yulia PutintsevaPutintseva (0-1) – See H2H details
- Sloane StephensStephens – Camila GiorgiGiorgi (2-2) – See H2H details
- Donna VekicVekic – Misaki DoiDoi (2-1) – See H2H details
- Anastasia PavlyuchenkovaPavlyuchenkova – Kiki BertensBertens (2-5) – See H2H details
- Madison KeysKeys – Angelique KerberKerber (2-8) – See H2H details