Rafael Nadal survives Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-74 6-4 7-5 in the Round Robin in London on Friday after conquering a huge battle. However, since Zverev defeated Medvedev in the following match, the Spanish sensation didn’t qualify for the semifinal.
Score, report, and key facts
Nothing could divide these 2 players that had to fight for the set only at the tiebreak. Eventually, Stefanos won the tiebreak at 4.
Both players managed to hold their serve for the entire set. The only difference was just 1 break that Rafael conquered in the 9th game (5-4) before winning the set (6-4).
Similarly to the 2nd set, there was not much difference between them in this set with the exception of 1 break that the Spaniard conquered in the 11th game (6-5) before winning the set (7-5).
At the end of the match, the Spaniard scored 109 points vs. Stefanos’s 101 points.
The Spaniard served extremely well to win 85% of the points (52/61) behind his first serve, and he won 56% points (18/32) on his second serve. Nadal won this match even if he was battling in converting his break points because he converted only 22% (2/9). On the other side, Stefanos wasn’t able to conquer any break point. That was one of the key issues for his defeat.
After this encounter, the head to head between Nadal and Tsitsipas is 5-1 for Rafael.
Highlights Rafael Nadal vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas Nitto ATP Finals – London
After the match, Rafa commented:
”Preparations have been very short and it’s the worst tournament possible to arrive without the best preparation possible. In other tournaments, sometimes you can be a little bit more lucky with the draw. You can win two matches and then you have a tough one, but you will be more prepared for it.
But here, on the first day, you play one of the best players in the world on a tough surface. If you don’t arrive with plenty of confidence in your body and your movements, things become much more difficult. I think that’s what happened. Then I think I have been improving on my tennis each day.”
Tennis Scores in London
- Alexander ZverevZverev – Daniil MedvedevMedvedev (6-4 7-64) – See score progression
- Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini – Dominic ThiemThiem (7-63 6-3) – See score progression
- Rafael NadalNadal – Daniil MedvedevMedvedev (6-73 6-3 7-64) – See score progression
- Roger FedererFederer – Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini (7-62 6-3) – See score progression
- Dominic ThiemThiem – Novak DjokovicDjokovic (6-75 6-3 7-65) – See score progression
- Stefanos TsitsipasTsitsipas – Daniil MedvedevMedvedev (7-65 6-4) – See score progression
- Novak DjokovicDjokovic – Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini (6-2 6-1) – See score progression