Score, report, and key facts
There was not much difference between them in this set with the exception of 1 break that the Swiss conquered in the 3rd game (2-1) before winning the set (6-4).
Federer won the set after he broke Djokovic in the 5th (3-2) and in the 9th (6-3) game. That break was the key for Roger to conquer the set since he didn’t drop his serve in the rest of the set.
After this encounter, the head to head between Federer and Djokovic is 24-26 for Novak.
Highlights Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic Nitto ATP Finals – London
Roger was thrilled with his win to comment:
“Great atmosphere, a great opponent here in London at The O2, definitely incredibly special. Just a night I enjoyed it from the beginning. I played incredible, and I knew I had to because that’s what Novak does and I was able to produce. So it was definitely magical.
There was a lot riding on the match. I think I served great, had great anticipation, a clear game plan and it worked to perfection tonight, and hopefully not the last time against Novak. But even if it didn’t, it was all worth it. It was a great performance tonight from me.”
Unfortunately for Novak, after losing his match he won’t end the season at the top of the rankings. Talking about recovering from this tough loss, the Serbian legend replied:
“I have lost so many matches in my life that I know how to move on. This is no different. I’ve played Roger almost 50 times now. Played Rafael Nadal 54 times. Every loss is painful, but when you play your biggest rivals, that adds a little bit of an extra flavor to the win or the loss.
At the end of the day, we’re professionals and I have been privileged to play this sport in the highest level for many years. I think that gives me experience on knowing how to accept things, move on and look for another opportunity.”
Tennis Scores in London
- Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini – Dominic ThiemThiem (7-63 6-3) – See score progression
- Rafael NadalNadal – Daniil MedvedevMedvedev (6-73 6-3 7-64) – See score progression
- Roger FedererFederer – Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini (7-62 6-3) – See score progression
- Dominic ThiemThiem – Novak DjokovicDjokovic (6-75 6-3 7-65) – See score progression
- Alexander ZverevZverev – Rafael NadalNadal (6-2 6-4) – See score progression
- Stefanos TsitsipasTsitsipas – Daniil MedvedevMedvedev (7-65 6-4) – See score progression
- Novak DjokovicDjokovic – Matteo BerrettiniBerrettini (6-2 6-1) – See score progression